The El Paso Chamber of Commerce (the “Chamber”) is searching for an innovative, decisive, high-energy leader skilled at building relationships for the role of President and CEO. The ideal candidate will have the ability and vision to bring the organization forward and ensure the Chamber remains relevant in the changing environment.
The President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will provide high profile leadership, vision, guidance, and strategic direction for the programs and personnel of the El Paso Chamber of Commerce (the “Chamber”). The CEO will facilitate and lead staff and board efforts to achieve the mission and goals of the Chamber as approved by the Board of Directors. The CEO has full fiscal responsibility and oversight for all organizational operations. The CEO will demonstrate a working knowledge of economic development principles, the regional economy, political environment, marketing and branding concepts, membership sales, and the opportunities and challenges to support the growth and prosperity of large and small employers in the region, including a large military presence, healthcare, education, and workforce development. The CEO must possess the ability to embrace and inspire change and will demonstrate openness to ideas from a variety of sources and focus on achieving “best in class” outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Leadership and Management:
- Working with the Board, the CEO must develop a shared vision for the future of the organization, build understanding around the mission, and develop appropriate goals and strategies to advance that mission.
- Responsible for all strategic planning and organizational policy as developed in concert with the board of directors which includes developing a long-term strategic plan and annual business plan with measurable objectives for delivery of successful outcomes on all Chamber events, projects, and programs; align objectives with annual budget revenue and expense projections.
- Identify and create opportunities to grow the Chamber and support the business community through innovative ideas and practices, while continually evaluating programs and services to avoid duplication of programs and services that community partners are better equipped to provide.
- Align and coordinate the Chamber with other economic development groups and like-minded organizations to develop programs and sponsorships that are mutually beneficial.
- Provide oversight, support, and direction to ongoing programs at the Chamber.
- Work with legislators, regulatory agencies, volunteers, and representatives of the not-for-profit sector to promote legislative and regulatory policies that encourage a vibrant community and address the issues of Chamber’s constituencies.
- Develop professional relationships and maintain effective contact with federal, state, and local officials as well as other business and community organizations pertinent to, or aligned with, Chamber projects or programs.
- Assume full financial oversight/accountability/responsibility to ensure the wise management of all Chamber resources.
- Ensure the organization’s goals and strategic plan serve as the basis for sound financial management.
- Oversee the fiscal activities of the organization including fundraising systems and programs, accounting, budgeting, reporting, and audit functions.
- See that solid budgeting and accounting systems are in place and that appropriate financial controls and risk-management strategies protect organization’s assets.
- Keep the Board fully informed of the Chamber’s financial conditions
- Organization Development, Public Relations, and Marketing:
- Facilitate the Chamber’s position as a leading representative of the business community in the Greater El Paso Area, advocating in a way that is respectful, shows integrity, and maintains credibility to the community at large.
- Achieve and maintain high visibility in the community to create awareness and increase the perception of value of the programs and services and the political influence of the Chamber.
- Officiate at public ceremonies, advise the public on complex issues, speak publicly, create a broad network of contacts, and represent the community in public forums.
- Represent and promote the Chamber and its policies and objectives to a variety of audiences, including with federal, state, and local government elected leaders, the military community, collaborating organizations, and individual businesses.
- Create messages that reflect the Chamber’s and its members’ position, relative to public policy, that effectively articulates the impact on the economy and/or the health and welfare of regional businesses.
- Develop strategic direction and execute strategies related to marketing and communications to ensure that all Chamber members and the public are informed of the Chamber’s activities and achievements and role in the community.
- Increase the exposure of the Chamber through the effective use of public media (e.g., Chamber publications and articles on Chamber issues, El Paso Times, El Paso, Inc.); develop ongoing relationships with target media, reporters, and editorial writers.
- Oversee development of marketing messages, collateral materials, and website content through the optimal use of the Chamber’s digital capabilities to include an active presence via social media.
- Optimize Chamber’s digital platform for improved member recruitment and retention by providing members and potential members greater and improved access to useful and relevant information.
Human Capital Management:
- Oversee the management of Chamber staff including hiring, firing, performance reviews, salary and benefits administration, policy, and general supervision.
- Coach and develop the internal leadership team to attain consistent, highly effective performance.
- Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives, better business practices and an organizational structure that will optimize performance and operating results.
- Ongoing supervision of internal management system of key performance indicators (KPI’s) to monitor staff activity and performance against goals.
- Promote a working environment of excellence, external and internal collaboration, and professional standards for the organization. Build accountability into the culture.
- Share the joint responsibility with the Board of Directors for developing and maintaining full transparency, a strong working relationship, and a system for sharing information that enables the Board to effectively carry out its governance role.
- Communicate regularly to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors on Chamber programs and activities, political issues, and other issues relevant to the success of the Chamber.
- Assist the Board in developing a long-range plan to build the appropriate Board to best represent the interests of the membership. This includes board succession planning, position development, and long-range candidate identification.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of 5 years of executive-level management experience which could include private industry, trade associations, economic development and/or related public sector or not-for-profit organizations. The ideal profile of career experiences would include a blend of the above-mentioned sectors including an executive-level role in the corporate or entrepreneurial environment.
- A proven successful executive with a demonstrated record of delivering results in line with the objectives of the strategic plan and to provide dynamic internal and external leadership to the Chamber to achieve revenue objectives, budgeted annual gross and net revenue, and other program and financial goals within the annual business plan.
- Knowledge and understanding of the business community, economic development, and political dynamics within the El Paso region and established relationships with the region’s influential leaders in business, non-profits, and politics.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategic business or political strategies and manage the tactical execution to achieve results.
- A business person with a record of accomplishment of involvement at the leadership level in community organizations, trade associations and public-sector organizations.
- An excellent internal leader recognized for the ability to develop, motivate, and build functional teams that regularly achieve and maintain superior levels of performance.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a credible reputation and high-profile presence in the community on behalf of an organization.
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication and proven media experience are essential.
- Experience in soliciting and securing sponsorship dollars from public and private sectors is highly preferred.
- Proven experience in political affairs and experience of successfully influencing opinions of elected officials and in directing the focus of a community initiative or referendum campaign is highly preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible hours which includes weekends and evenings.
- Applicants with Certified Chamber Executive (CCE) credential, or other industry recognized certifications or accreditations, may receive preferential consideration, but is not required.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English a plus, but not required.
Interested and qualified applicants are to submit confidential application materials and cover letter to the following email address: Info@austinworknet.com
The El Paso Chamber of Commerce is an Equal Opportunity Employer.